Ryan Devereaux+ Your Authors @rdevro reporter @theintercept — immigration. criminal justice. national security. Jun. 04, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Another day, another big ass march coming through Brooklyn.

Taking a knee.

Comment from a woman filming as the protest passes by: “Fucking Flatbush, my fucking neighborhood. Hell yeah.”

“Thank you guys!” a man on the sidewalk adds.

Folks here seem to be feeling it — perhaps because this neighborhood has been insanely over-policed for years.

Will never forget the protests here in 2013, after the police gunned down 16-year-old Kimani Gray in front of his friends and neighbors.

Some of the rawest displays of community outrage I’ve ever witnessed — @macfathom and I wrote about it here  https://www.villagevoice.com/2013/03/20/everybody-wants-a-piece-of-kimani-gray/ 

Police have exited their vans and are now following a group of protesters through Brooklyn — a noticeable change in posture from a few moments ago

Here at Flatbush and Bergen, the police have lined the street shoulder to shoulder — organizers are calling it a night, urging people not to instigate the cops and coordinating group travel home

Meanwhile, over near the Barclays Center, a separate group of few hundred protesters are being closely followed by a seemingly equal number of police

At least among these two groups, I’ve seen a very deliberate to vocalize that they are non-violent all night — the message feels directed at both participants and police

You can follow @rdevro.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader