Shreyas Doshi+ Your Authors @shreyas early PM & first PM lead @stripe. formerly a PM lead @twitter @google @yahoo. I share offbeat ideas here—useful for some, useless for many, not for everyone ❤️ Jun. 06, 2020 2 min read + Your Authors

What is not strategy, a fast-paced thread:

1/ Unbridled optimism is not a strategy.

2/ Vision is not a strategy. Mission is also not a strategy.

3/ “Strategy is for MBAs and I am a street-smart operator” is not a strategy.

4/ A manifesto of becoming the best, the most delightful, or the market-leading product is not a strategy.

5/ A roadmap or a comprehensive project plan is not a strategy.

6/ “We will just build an MVP and iterate based on user feedback” is not a strategy.

7/ A high payoff plan that requires dozens of uncontrolled factors to align perfectly in your favor over a long time period is not a strategy.

8/ An ambitious plan that doesn’t truly comprehend the motivations of customers, partners, and competitors is not a strategy.

9/ An eloquent validation of an executive’s preconceived convictions is not a strategy.

10/ “My industry changes rapidly, cannot predict the future” is not a strategy.

11/ “2021 OKRs and cross-functional plan” are not a strategy.

12/ “Here you go, I have filled out our company’s standard template for strategy” is not a strategy.

14/ A strategy that cannot be translated into organization-wide action is not a strategy.

15/ “Steve Jobs did not write a strategy and his products did just fine” is not a strategy.

What *is* strategy, in this thread for product folks (includes some strategy-related resources):

And last but not least, some fun stuff:

🤣🤣🤣

What it feels like when working on a struggling product that doesn’t have a strategy

Confidence is not a strategy (sound on)

Hubris is not a strategy (sound on)

Strategy is vital. Strategy isn’t everything though. Execution is also vital.

Strategy without Execution

Execution without Strategy

Strategy *and* Execution

When you create a go-to-market strategy without a good product strategy

Strategy needs to be grounded in reality and requires cohesive cross-org action

Cohesive cross-org action to make strategy work

How we hope to execute

Our execution hopes, shattered

TFW you realize you’ve entered a Red Ocean market

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

You can follow @shreyas.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader