Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Ashish K. Jha+ Your Authors @ashishkjha Physician, researcher, and advocate for the notion that an ounce of data is worth a thousand pounds of opinion. Director @harvardgh. Soon, Dean @Brown_SPH Jun. 07, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

5 truisms of public health, racism, COVID-19.

1. Mass gatherings spread virus

2. Being outside helps – we don’t know how much.

3. Wearing mask helps – may be a lot.

4. Racism kills

5. A destroyed economy kills

Thread

My 4 key public health messages I've tried to adhere to:

1. Never downplay horrible costs of being shut down

2 Focus on what needs doing: an effective government response to the pandemic. We still lack adequate testing/tracing so we can suppress virus, get our lives back

2/N

key public health messages continued:

3. As we open up, we should avoid things that are truly discretionary (pool parties, large indoor gatherings)

4. We should never begrudge folks angry about lost livelihoods, businesses, being unable to grieve for lost loved ones.

3/n

3 personal views that are my values (yours might differ):

1. I support the protesters

2. I am deeply worried protests will fuel outbreaks

3. I am angry we are in a position where there is tension between racial justice, fighting COVID because we didn't suppress the virus

4/7

2 takeaways:

1. If we had built up a strong testing/tracing infrastructure, we could have been in a very different position.

2. That would let us protest more safely. Go back to work more safely. Get kids back to school more safely.

5/7

Final point:

I don’t want to fight about which kind of death is worse:

death from a destroyed economy, death from racism, or death from COVID.

I really don't

6/7

We can make a different choice.

It requires pushing our government to deal with pandemic by making testing widely available.

Yes, tracing harder with protests but still absolutely essential

And yes, we need to address issues of racism, policing and do so now.

Fin

You can follow @ashishkjha.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader