Natalie E. Dean, PhD+ Your Authors @nataliexdean Assistant Professor of Biostatistics at @UF specializing in emerging infectious diseases and vaccine study design. @HarvardBiostats PhD. Tweets my own. Jun. 11, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

"The case for case finding." In this article on the UK's test and trace system, the author emphasizes the potential value of case finding. This involves testing people without symptoms and using broader criteria for who gets tested. 1/4
 https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2246 

Instead of tracking down individual contacts, "[w]ith case finding you take a different approach by saying, ‘I’m going to test everybody potentially infected.’ So, if you had one kid infected you might want to test the whole class or even the whole school.” 2/4

"'If you look at the best contact tracing systems, they’re doing case finding,' [Harrison] says, citing an example from South Korea, where an outbreak in a call centre in a tower block resulted in 1143 people being tested, of whom 97 were positive." 3/4

Adding my own thoughts, imagine a workplace exposure. There is a balance between the effort of tracing (who did you see? for how long?) and the cost of testing. As testing capacity increases, at some point it would make sense to just test everyone. 4/4

You can follow @nataliexdean.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader