Karla Monterroso #BlackLivesMatter+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella Jun. 12, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

This is a sister thread to this one, how do you know that you are right for a D&I position?

I'm going to divide this up by personal qualities and competencies.
Personal Qualities:
1) You have to have a healthy relationship with conflict
2) An ability for strategy (If D&I were bowling, can you identify the center pin that knocks down a lot of other pins?)

3) Have examined your relationship to being centered, much of this work has to happen through people, if you need the victory lap, this is likely not for you.
4) A willingness to walk away - these positions can become enablers rather than activators

5) Have examined your relationship to whiteness (no matter what race you are), where you have benefitted from it, how it has contributed to your success, where it has hurt other people.
6) Have a robust comfort discussing and discovering more about your personal racial history.

7) Great comfort or thrive in change, changing environments/situations

Competencies - now these can change depending on what kind of D&I role we are talking about but a generalist should have:
1) Change Management
2) Project Management
3) Deep knowledge of racial justice work but especially Black liberation movements

4) The intersection of data analysis and racial equity fluency (#'s mean different things to different people you have to help contextualize them and foresee how they may be used and misused)
5) Community building ability
6) Strategic momentum creation
7) Relationship management

8) Tremendous political communication skills - the ability to break down concepts to component parts, inspire action, and hold accountability

9) Incredible at learning and demonstrating learning in public.

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader