Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Colleen Farrell, MD+ Your Authors @colleenmfarrell Internal medicine resident in New York City. Soon-to-be pulmonary and critical care fellow. Writer. Creator of @MedHumChat. Views mine. Jun. 12, 2020 2 min read + Your Authors

Black people do not owe it to anyone, especially not White people, to relive their trauma or bare their souls so others can learn about racism. However, some choose to do so, & we need to listen.

Powerful chorus of voices here, convened by @drjessigold

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessicagold/2020/06/12/i-am-tired-what-black-doctors-need-you-to-know-right-now/ 

"It hurts that the black body count continues to rise because people see us as less than human. See us as the beautiful people we are." —Valerie A. Fitzhugh MD, Pathologist @DrFNA

"Being a Black physician in times of injustice means checking your emotions at the door because your professionalism may be called into question if you bring in concerns from the outside world into the practice of medicine." —Alden Landry MD, MPH, Emergency Med @AMLandryMD

"While this is a major moment in US history, it is a peak in a mountain range of experiences for Black people in this country, an acute on chronic stress." —Rebekah Fenton MD, pediatrician @RFentonMD

"Despite the famed physicians that once walked the hallowed halls of Massachusetts General Hospital, theirs were not the names that marked my residency. Those names were Michael Brown. Freddie Gray. Walter Scott. Eric Garner." —Utibe R. Essien MD, MPH, Internal Medicine @UREssien

"I know when they see "Harvard Medical School" on my license plate, they think the car is stolen. This has happened in every US city I have lived in." —Theodore Nyame MD, Plastic Surgeon @DrTheoNyame

"The psychological toll of being on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic was easily surpassed by the dread of possibly losing a loved one to racially motivated violence." —Sandy Charles MD, Cardiologist @DrSandyCharles

"As I have been vulnerable about these feelings with my colleagues, I have come to realize what I am experiencing – I am grieving." —Jasmine R. Marcelin MD, Infectious Diseases @DrJRMarcelin

"While I’m glad that the world seems to be listening now, while I’m glad that people are now acknowledging the racism that we face, I have to break it to you: this is not new for us." —Amanda Calhoun MD, MPH Psychiatry @AmandaJoyMD

"I am a Black physician, mother, and wife. I am also a descendant of US chattel slavery—the peculiar blemish of American History that causes people to bristle when mentioned. But that piece of my identity cannot be ignored." —Kimberly Manning MD, Internal Med @gradydoctor

You can follow @colleenmfarrell.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader