Karla Monterroso #BlackLivesMatter+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella Jun. 13, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

We were once partnered with a tech company who made a decision, so terribly inflammatory and racist, I wrote their entire exec team about the impact of it. They sent the one Latinx exec team member to what I can only imagine was to “calm me down”.

When I sat with him he admitted during that meeting to me that one of the VC’s (big name) had told him at a board meeting they were being rumored as a place inhospitable to white men.

Keep in mind, this place only had 3% Black and Latinx people and most of that had been gained during a period of real work to improve the place. But even 3% was a frowned upon signaling. I think he told me this to commiserate with him. To bond us.

So I said “So you’re trying to tell me you did X to signal white men were welcomed at your company? And you let that happen?” And he stammers and backtracks. I let him know how much more disappointing that action was in that light.

I’m certain he had never put those things together, even for himself. There are so many parts of that story that I think about and play over and over in my head as I do this work. Anyway, that’s how far up this goes as a problem.

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader