Ashish K. Jha+ Your Authors @ashishkjha Physician, researcher, and advocate for the notion that an ounce of data is worth a thousand pounds of opinion. Director @harvardgh. Soon, Dean @Brown_SPH Jun. 14, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

I spoke to @CarlaKJohnson of @AP said that I thought President Trump's rallies are dangerous.

They are very risky.

Before you lose your mind and call me a hypocrite for not calling BLM protests dangerous, let's examine some facts:

Short thread

What we know about virus spread:

There's no doubt large gatherings increase risk

True for rallies. And protests. Have said so many times

What decreases risk?

1. Being outside

2. Wearing masks

3. Moving, not stationary, crowds (evidence here weaker)

2/4

President Trumps rallies are planned to be:

1. held indoors

2. people unlikely to be wearing masks

3. folks will be stationary for hours

This is a dangerous combination

3/4

Am I sure rally in Tulsa, other places will fuel a big outbreak?

Of course not.

There is enough idiosyncrasy to the virus spread that we can't and shouldn't predict with certainty.

But the risk here is substantial.

4/5

Final point

Now I’m making a value judgment:

I don’t find protests against racism and political rallies to be morally equivalent.

Your values might differ.

But let's be clear: If @joebiden were holding a similar, indoor rally, I'd be just as critical

Fin

You can follow @ashishkjha.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader