Karla Monterroso #BlackLivesMatter+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella Jun. 15, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

I’ve thought so much about this thread today. By all accounts Pinterest has pioneered what it means to incorporate an inclusion into product. And here is another example of a tech company failing to set the boundaries that keep employees safe from blatant racism.

Truly, this is the place I see companies not just resist but truly struggle. It is a deep lack of respect for the pain of women of color, but especially Black women in this work. Especially in larger companies, the potential for your top leaders to be terrorized.

The worst part is that once it is clear you won’t protect your equity leaders, you set a target on the back of those leaders. And more folks who are silently annoyed become verbally aggressive.

So many companies starting this work and it is TABLE STAKES to be ready for people who reveal themselves to be threatened and racist and abusive. If you are unwilling to set the stage for how unacceptable that is, don’t start this work. All you do is make it more dangerous.

You can not have a truly innovative product if you don’t protect the people who are making them cutting edge for a demographic shift. I mourn for @IfeomaOzoma experience, and for all of the folks who have also had this experience, it is common.

And I also mourn for all the folks who will not be better off from using Pinterest because she was able to see what others couldn’t see. And we lose that all the time.

To a lot of the 300+ people companies- there are likely currently white supremacists in your company. Are you okay with letting them wreck the safety of your people?

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader