Vincent Lee+ Your Authors @Rover829 Reuters China Breaking News Editor, sharing news by colleagues; opinions are mine, especially hate towards James Harden. Byline name: Se Young Lee. Jun. 18, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

A confession: I occasionally have hankering for American-Chinese, specifically chicken fried rice and General Tso’s Chicken. And I can tell you that I am not ashamed of this.

Chinese food is interesting to me because two of the countries I have lived in have very distinct styles of “Chinese food” - South Korea and the US. The food adopted and changed into different things from the “original” Chinese cuisine

I say “original” cuisine because, even in my very limited experience, I find that Chinese food in China is quite different from each other depending on the province/tastes. There is a ton of variety, which is great.

So I can sit here and think about Chinese food and imagine eating

-Lanzhou beef noodles
-担担面 (Dandan noodles)
-辣子鸡 (peppercorn chicken basically)
-麻婆豆腐
-Fried goat cheese
-Korean style jajangmyeon
-General Tso’s

Its possible that I would commit certain crimes for really good xiao long bao 小笼包 and hot and sour soup 酸辣汤. What can I say - I like what I like

i think 炸酱面 may have been the one dish that really made me realize the craziness with Chinese food. Growing up in Korea, the jajangmyeon/炸酱面 was almost always very sweet. When I got to Beijing, colleagues pointed out how it’s actually a salty dish (and often dry)

Chinese food from my experience has been very different depending on where I go - malleable and adaptable to local tastes. And I think that is very cool.

You can follow @Rover829.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader