Michael Seibel+ Your Authors @mwseibel Partner at YC and CEO of our startup accelerator #ycombinator [email protected] Jun. 21, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

More often than not I find the slippery slope argument lazy. It can be applied on either side of an argument to make the other person feel like a tyrant in training. Good policy lies in the messy middle. Checks and balances are designed to protect us from the slippery slopes.

Next time you make the slippery slope argument - try to flip sides and see how it can be used against your position.

Instead of debating the extremes -let’s discuss how to manage the messy middle.

The more I think about it the more I believe that slippery slope is perfect made for Twitter. Maximum outrage in minimum characters. Strangely these arguments are used by many smart people who know better.

Probably because their Twitter addiction out weighs their good sense.

You can follow @mwseibel.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader