Charity Majors+ Your Authors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio; co-wrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤Black Lives Matter🖤 Jun. 28, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

You look at it every day. 🙃 The best engineers I have ever worked with have two screens open at all times: their IDE and production.

Because you're right: you won't know if it's weird if you don't know what normal looks like.

If you're shipping code every day, you should be looking at it every day too.

That's how you develop a sixth sense for operational issues. Build, ship, look, and follow your curiosity when it tickles you. There's no other way.

True observability tools (not "three pillars" tools) help by rewarding curiosity swiftly. They let you pinpoint which requests are failing and what they have in common, methodically and scientifically, without having to guess the answer upfront or translate into lowlevel systems.

This is why I argue for reducing and automating the time til code goes live -- so this becomes muscle memory.

You JUST wrote it. You know what you want it to do. You know how you implemented it. Now is when you have the best shot at unpacking any subtle "weird" changes.

Because when it comes to one complex system (you) deciphering another complex system (your code, in production): ✨weird is irreducible✨

🌈🌷

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader