Cᴀʟɪʙʀᴇ Oʙsᴄᴜʀᴀ+ Your Authors @CalibreObscura Independent Arms Researcher (Usage, Sale, ID), focus on NSAGs in MENA/Asia. | كاليبر ابسكيورة | Like/RT ≠ Approval. | 🇬🇧 ɴᴀᴛᴏ sʜɪʟʟ | BACKUP:@calibreobscura2 Jun. 29, 2020 2 min read + Your Authors

A [THREAD] on the latest capture from smuggling to the #Houthis, from a Dhow off Mocha, #Yemen, by the Saudis.

There is a lot of interesting kit, but here's the boat[s].

1/

Let's start with one "sniper plus spotter" kit- an Iranian AM-50 Sayyad 12.7x99mm AMR, with 2 Iranian Rayan Roshd RU120G thermals, & RU100LH thermal binos for observation. Note the ComBloc side rail mount for one optic, likely for the spotter.

Houthis have often used these.

2/

This wasn't all- hundreds of Chinese Type 56-1 AKs, Iranian PKM-T80, more AM-50 and AK magazines. Oh, and lots of DSHkM/Type 54 and Type 85 heavy machine guns...

3/

I mean lots, you can also see the 100+? PKM-T80, alongside the heavy machine guns, which are separated into barrels and recievers.

4/

It also appears that 9M133-1 T.B. (Thermobaric) missiles for the the Kornet ATGM system were captured, quantities are unknown but this is rather typical. These are quite capable. 2nd pic is plenty more AM-50 AMR.

5/

Here's the really interesting part, at least for me- also recovered was at least several "RPG-29" looking tubes, along with optics, a bore sighter, grip unit etc.

But they're different- note that they don't appear to have the ability to disassemble like the normal RPG-29...

6/

This is 'cos they appear to me to be a version of the RPG-29 developed with a lesser exterior fit/finish & w/ various cost saving features, to be supplied to Iranian client forces. See these 2 v similar examples in Iraq in 2018.

I propose the designation RPG-29C, for "Cheap"

7/

Also captured were optics, IED triggers?, and apparent Walther Air Rifles (Yes, I don't know precisely why), and various other kit.

Overall extremely interesting look at (claimed) Iranian arms supplies to the Houthis that aligns with UN Reports.

8/

I'd also be interested at a close look at the Type 85/Type 54 and Type 56-1 underfolders. I deeply suspect they aren't old stock, and that the Chinese are totally aware of where they are doing. #Proliferation

9/

Possible Saudis combined multiple captures into 1 press event, but still really informational.

cc @MENA_Conflict @MatthewHenman_ @MSchroeder77 @AbraxasSpa @oryxspioenkop @Rebel44CZ

If you like the work I put in to this, please consider a few USD:  http://ko-fi.com/CalibreObscura 

[END]

You can follow @CalibreObscura.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader