Devi Sridhar+ Your Authors @devisridhar Professor & Chair of Global Public Health, @EdinburghUni Medical School. Director of @GlobalHealthGP. Health governance, financing, policy, systems & security. Jul. 08, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

I look at what’s happening in several U.S. states including my home state Florida; I look at Israel and Spain and Iran and...and I know that everyone wants the economy to go full steam ahead in the UK. But I fear we will be in another lockdown within months, if not weeks.

Why would the UK be any different? This is what I asked myself also on Feb & March when the UK stayed fully open while others moved in opposite direction. Eliminate the virus over the summer then open up safely. Otherwise enter winter & flu season in a dangerous halfway house.

I know the economy is suffering & jobs are being lost. I recognise the toll that lockdown has taken and I’m not ‘pro-lockdown’ at all. In fact my worry is about a second lockdown & how to avoid this happening. Lockdown/release cycles will destroy society & the economy.

Gov’ts need to look ahead 6-8 months and make a plan, make a strategy for how to protect their residents lives & jobs & how they will weather the storm. Encouraging people to pretend the virus is gone & to celebrate the end of the pandemic is negligent.  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/22/pandemic-zero-coronavirus-britain 

Tough decisions ahead & can’t have it all without a vaccine. Opening schools, or keeping pubs & bars open. Keeping borders largely closed or having free movement & constant outbreaks. Saying popular things like ‘eat out & party’ or prioritising those shielding & vulnerable.

Having studied outbreaks in poor countries, I look at US & UK and see what a privileged position these countries are in giving their wealth & resources.They can truly protect their residents unlike poor countries which have all the odds stacked against them.Why don’t they do it?

You can follow @devisridhar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader