Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Khanoisseur 🐶🤦🏻‍♂️🌎+ Your Authors @Khanoisseur Nonpartisan fact-checks + “frustratingly accurate” analysis of news (+🐶 pics). *Turn notifications on* Stuff @Google @Twitter @Facebook @Tesla @Audi Jul. 22, 2020 2 min read + Your Authors

Many share the blame for how many Covid-19 deaths occur — started with White House and federal government officials who delayed response; healthcare workers who didn’t know how to treat effectively; people who get infected by disregarding precautions and spread it to others;

2. With my mom back in ICU after catching other infections while recovering at hospital, I have lost much confidence in US healthcare — this is her fourth week in care and from what I’ve observed (hospital hygiene protocols etc), not surprised that US has most Covid-18 deaths.

3. My mother developed PE and clots that went monitored for almost a week, giving her pneumonia, while she developed a brain bleed (tricky to solve now). Luckily she was in superb health before going in and is somewhat more able to fight off infections vs others her age.

4. I’ve observed nurses giving her wrong medication doses and handling equipment they use on other patients then handing her medication without switching gloves. And this is in supposedly the top ranked hospital — shudder to think what’s happening in smaller hospitals.

5. Even before coronavirus, nursing homes in US had a checkered reputation, with deaths due to substandard care, erroneous medication, and improper hygiene protocols. Yet in states like Arizona, nursing homes where deaths occurred due to “unexpected causes” got top grades.

6. In 2018, Johns Hopkins study found that more than 250,000 people die in the United States every year because of medical mistakes, making it the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer. Covid-19 found a really soft target—a decrepit US healthcare system.

7. “Other studies report much higher figures, claiming the number of deaths from medical error to be as high as 440,000. The reason for the discrepancy is that physicians, coroners and medical examiners rarely note on death certificates the errors and system failures involved.”

8. At the “top-ranked hospital” where my mother was originally admitted, the computer in her room (used to record vitals, condition status) broke down (remained broken until discharge). Nurses recorded data on scraps of paper that they assured would be fed into the main system.

9. We won’t know for years how many Covid-19 deaths could’ve been prevented if people had fewer underlying conditions or worn masks; but when people get sick, quality of care they received at hospitals can become the biggest factor in determining recovery speed or survival rate.

10. As for what could’ve contributed to the hematoma in my mom’s brain during rehab, anything from an overdose of blood thinners administered, to rough transfer from chair to bed to position her for sleep at night could be among the factors. “Simple” mistakes add up.

11. At the ER, I noticed that during bed transfers for CT scans or other purposes, they would lift and drop her from bed to bed with the kind of force that could easily cause brain trauma — you’d think the technicians would know better but they didn’t know she had brain surgery.

12. Inadequately skilled healthcare staff, error in judgment or care, computer breakdowns, mix-ups with the doses or types of medications administered to patients and surgical complications that go undiagnosed — experiencing all this first-hand in the midst of a pandemic.

You can follow @Khanoisseur.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader