Vincent Lee (휴가중 休假中)+ Your Authors @Rover829 Reuters China Breaking News Editor, sharing news by colleagues; opinions are mine, especially hate towards James Harden. Byline name: Se Young Lee. Jul. 25, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

CHENGDU, China (Reuters) - Security was tight outside the US consulate in the Chinese city of Chengdu on Saturday as staff inside prepared to leave, a day after China ordered it to close in response to a US order for China to shut its consulate in Houston
 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-consulate-chengdu/tight-security-outside-u-s-chengdu-consulate-after-china-orders-closure-idUSKCN24Q07W 

Reuters: A consulate emblem inside the compound was removed as staff could be seen pushing trolleys and several consulate vehicles came and went.

Police, including many plain clothes officers, gathered outside and closed off the street to traffic.

Reuters: At the Houston consulate, staff packed up belongings watched by jeering protesters. Shortly after the closure order took effect a group of men who appeared to be U.S. officials were seen forcing open a back door to the facility.

Reuters: Residents in Chengdu expressed mixed views on the closure of the U.S. consulate in the city.

“What I fear the most is the U.S. won’t just stop there, it might get uglier,” said 19-year-old university student Zhang Chuhan.

Reuters: “I approve. The U.S. closed our consulate, I think we should shut theirs too,” said a man who identified himself as Jiang, 29.

You can follow @Rover829.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader