Patrick McKenzie+ Your Authors @patio11 I work for the Internet, at @stripe, mostly on accelerating startups. Opinions here are my own. Aug. 30, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Ruinarch: “What if Rimworld (graphical Dwarf Fortress) but you were an evil overlord trying to stir up }%{^# by convincing the healer that their husband was cheating on them with a werewolf to clear the way for you spreading the plague into town?”

It’s a unique and very, very weird experience.

I don’t know how many civilizations I’ve ground into powder or millions of beings slain in my gaming career, but somehow it feels different and worse to inspect a social graph and start plotting on how to make friends hate friends.

You can also just e.g. drop a meteor on them but if you were just going to drop a meteor on them there are more fun games to do it in.

Although I did resolve one marital spat with a lightning bolt because one of the parties was in government and it would have been inconvenient if they were killed in a domestic disturbance prior to ordering the execution of someone who was involved in a different plot.

The adultery was *also* my fault but my evil overlord Gantt chart did not anticipate the scheduling conflict because, for the first time on any Gantt chart in the history of mankind, a deliverable came in early.

You can follow @patio11.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader