Patrick McKenzie+ Your Authors @patio11 I work for the Internet, at @stripe, mostly on accelerating startups. Opinions here are my own. Sep. 06, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Annual Reports make for such interesting reading. I'm recently digging some historical annual reports, which are both a study of business and a study of culture at a point in time.

For example, there's some serious pmarca energy in AT&T's 1913 annual report:

"We just invented a new discipline from scratch and #)(#& yes we are best in the world at it. You'll understand in 10 years when we're 30 years ahead. Sincerely, AT&T." is a writing style I almost wish we had more of.

(You could kinda imagine that appearing in a Tesla communication?)

You should also see their bemused, naked contempt for the competition. For their capital allocation, their pricing schemes, their attempts to bring regulators to bear against AT&T, everything.

Yes, children, enjoy your play and then wash up for supper.

You can follow @patio11.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader