Patrick McKenzie+ Your Authors @patio11 I work for the Internet, at @stripe, mostly on accelerating startups. Opinions here are my own. Sep. 06, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Cryptocurrency is wild, exhibit #893528:

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linked/77090/sushiswap-founder-converts-portion-of-developer-fund-to-6m-in-eth 

I feel like I both want to describe what this actually means, why people are mad about this, why it doesn't happen in the grown-up economy, and similar, but I already regret the number of brain cells spent learning this topic and don't want to infect non-carriers among you.

Something like "I raised a ~$10M seed round at a valuation of $200M with some representations about what the plans were then did an unplanned ~$13M secondary with treasury stock to my own pocket then sold the company for $1 to an unaffiliated (?) party because YOLO idiots."

Literal quote:

"Maybe you don't think I deserved that [money]. I think my contributions justified that. I wrote the migration code. I did all the audits. I coordinated the largest [liquidity] pools ever. I created a large community... All in 1 week."

Predictably, there is a code-is-law, if you didn't expect me to do this then I guess you should look closer at the source code next time because it was not physically impossible to do vibe from the founder here.

You can follow @patio11.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader