Patrick McKenzie+ Your Authors @patio11 I work for the Internet, at @stripe, mostly on accelerating startups. Opinions here are my own. Sep. 08, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

At some point I think tech companies have to make “Do I trust the infrastructure my employees are dependent on to be productive, to say nothing of rely on in personal lives, to deliver five nines? Four nines? ... Two nines? Are you #^}*]%ing kidding me?” decisions.

And frankly engineers have an automatic anchor for the competence of someone who says “Two nines, slightly more if all users can simultaneously cooperate and click their mice slower, perhaps blowing on them in between clicks.”

I realize that it is incredibly controversial in some areas to say that engineers have a useful point of view about infrastructure or that engineering is the primary reason why electricity and other omnipresent utilities work where they work.

And, yeah, good luck with that.

I wish there was an option in local elections for the Competent Technocratic Administration Party.

The platform is in the name.

You can follow @patio11.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader