Cory Doctorow #BLM+ Your Authors @doctorow Pre-order the audio- and e-book for ATTACK SURFACE, the third Little Brother book, on my first-ever Kickstarter: tinyurl.com/AttackSurfaceKS Sep. 14, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Each year, @EFF gives out its #PioneerAward, "recognizing leaders on the electronic frontier who are extending freedom and innovation in the realm of information technology." I was enormously privileged to receive one in 2007 and it is one of my most treasured honors.

1/

This year's award winners are standouts (as always)!

https://www.eff.org/awards/pioneer/2020 

* Joy Buolamwini, Dr Timnit Gebru, Deborah Raji:

Their research on race/gender bias in facial analysis laid the groundwork for a movement banning law enforcement’s use of face surveillance.

2/

* Danielle Blunt

Co-founder of Hacking//Hustling, a collective of sex workers and accomplices working at the intersection of tech and social justice to interrupt state surveillance and violence facilitated by technology.

3/

* The Open Technology Fund Community

OTF has fostered a global community and provided support—both monetary and in-kind—to more than 400 projects that seek to combat censorship and repressive surveillance.

4/

* Redstickman

Founded the infamous Ambient Mafia in November of 1999, and they’ve taken over chillrooms in the San Francisco Bay Area by storm with their chunky and funky downtempo beats.

5/

This year's Pioneers are livestreaming on Twitch (simulcast on Facebook Live, Twitter, and YouTube Live) on Oct 15, 5:30-7:30PM Pacific. It's free to attend, with a requested, optional, $10 donation.

https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/event/register?id=270&reset=1 

eof/

You can follow @doctorow.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader