LenaSun
+ Your AuthorsArchive @bylenasun Health reporter for The Washington Post. Pls send tips to [email protected] Or secure drop wapo.st/2BnwcFK My stories: wapo.st/1mTCHnl Sep. 28, 2020 1 min read

NEW: The loss of credibility in CDC has sent morale to all-time low. “The worst is the silence,” one scientist said. “You can’t explain what’s going on, correct mistakes, clarify things quickly before they spin up and out of control.” Me + @joelachenbach  https://wapo.st/30hUXkC 

1/ Career staff at CDC remain proud of the expertise, talent and professionalism that the agency can bring to bear in a crisis. But they see the agency’s situation clearly.

2/The CDC has endured false accusations and interference by Trump administration political appointees, leading to loss of institutional credibility at a time when the nation desperately needs to know whom to trust.

3/ CDC Director Robert Redfield has been publicly criticized by President Trump + his now-favored pandemic adviser, Scott Atlas, who has said pandemic fears are overblown.

4/ A CDC epidemiologist on the political interference in the agency: "I never would have expected the level of political interference we're seeing now. It's so sad."

5/ Within CDC, some say problems could be reversed with a different director. Some experts like @doritmi say CDC leadership should be a board like Federal Reserve.

You can follow @bylenasun.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader