Blair Braverman
+ Your AuthorsArchive @BlairBraverman Dogsledder. Author. Adventurer. If you like these tweets, you'll love WELCOME TO THE GODDAMN ICE CUBE (@eccobooks). Nov. 07, 2020 1 min read

A really important thread if you want to understand where news—and the concept of fake news—comes from. When I hear people dismiss “mainstream media” offhand as misleading, I want to scream. Have you ever been fact-checked? That shit is THOROUGH.

If you haven’t been on the back-end of journalism, fact-checking is a process where every line of an article, every word, is scrutinized and researched. You need concrete evidence for each claim. That doesn’t mean googling other articles; it means contacting every eyewitness.

In one of my first stories, I mentioned a beetle bending its legs—as a side detail!—and my editor made me send studies proving that beetles can bend their legs and I was like WHAT IS THIS and now I’m like well OBVIOUSLY that needs to be backed up, cheers to the entomologists.

You can follow @BlairBraverman.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader