Yashar Ali 🐘
+ Your AuthorsArchive @yashar New York Magazine/HuffPost Contributor Email: [email protected] Direct Messages Open Text/Call/Signal/Confide/WhatsApp: 310-795-2497. Nov. 12, 2020 1 min read

1. I'm so glad @MarenMorris mentioned Linda Martell in her speech

She is the country music pioneer you've never heard of

She made history as the first Black woman to perform at Grand Ole Opry...she received a standing ovation

Sadly, she was driven out of the business by racism

2. This is one of my favorite Linda Martell songs. It's called "Color Him Father."

I just love this song.

3. In 2014, a Swedish TV show found Linda Martell in South Carolina where she now lives.

After leaving country music over 30 years ago, she eventually ended up becoming a school bus driver.

Here she is in 2014 singing "Color Him Father"

4. And here she is today, age 79.

The photo on the right is from 1970 when she was at the height of her country music career.

Photo by Kennedi Carter for Rolling Stone.

You can follow @yashar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader