Stephanie Hurlburt
+ Your AuthorsArchive @sehurlburt Businesses: @_binomial @artbysehurlburt Instagram: instagram.com/sehurlburt 🏳️‍🌈 She/her Dec. 09, 2020 1 min read

I'm seeing more people to open up about depression, anxiety and ADD/ADHD these days-- but not so much on a lot of other mental illnesses. Kathleen talks about some severe OCD-like symptoms she experiences here and I found it really refreshing and candid.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0D6gIp3pzA 

Part of what is refreshing is battling stigma that moderate/severe mental illness means being able to do nothing or be "less productive." She's able to have undeniably thriving businesses. If normal jobs & society accounted for neurodiversity, maybe others could thrive more too.

Like yes if you measure my "productivity" by how many hours I can continuously stare at a screen and type at things and fix little problems, I suck. It'd be hard for me to find and keep a normal job. Yet in my own business, I bring in more money and deals than most people I know.

Sometimes symptoms do get so severe that I'm basically bedridden and unable to even hold a conversation. That's valid too.

But I think it's important to battle this linear view that mentally healthy = productive and mentally ill = lesser. It's different. Different can be better!

You can follow @sehurlburt.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader