1) Hypothesis: Outside of Amazon’s mgmt and employees, no one did more to make Amazon the juggernaut that it is today than Eddie Lampert and a generation of activists who applied his playbook to retailers circa 2005 which kept Amazon from having any real competition until 2015.
2) Amazon management should get credit for incredible execution, customer focus & strategic vision.
Part of this was keeping their margins low to preserve the illusion that e-commerce was “unprofitable.”
Every year that this was a widespread belief was such a victory for them.
3) The combination of this absurd belief and the Lampert playbook was lethal to the long term future of many retailers.
And it could have been very different.
4) Related: “Netflixed” makes it clear that Blockbuster was on the verge of winning vs. Netflix when Icahn forced a management and strategy change. @modestproposal1
Path determinism is so powerful. The future was and is never set in stone.
5) All an offshoot of this thought:
You can follow @GavinSBaker.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.