Gavin Baker
+ Your AuthorsArchive @GavinSBaker Managing Partner & CIO, Atreides Management LP. Formerly Fidelity OTC Fund. No investment advice, views my own. gavin-s-baker.com/ Jan. 03, 2021 1 min read

1) Exceptional essay from @buckymoore.

Best thing I’ve read on software in a while.

Grateful to @edwards_deming for highlighting it to me.

My summary and thoughts in the rest of the thread 👇

https://www.kleinerperkins.com/perspectives/a-2020-perspective 

2) Cloud data warehouses become cloud data platforms as applications read/write directly to the warehouses.

My thought: Streaming data is the new axis of competition here. Bigquery.

3) These data platforms - and other co’s - emerge as new serverless layers which abstract away the underlying infrastructure, compete with the higher level services of the cloud co’s and enable multi-cloud.

My thought: Back to the future with PaaS. Real risk to incumbents.

3) Zero trust, agentless security finally happens with data replacing endpoints as the focus of security architectures.

My thought: Endpoints are effectively irrelevant in a SaaS world. SmartNICs/DPUs help enable this trend from an underlying infrastructure perspective.

4) Business processes will be written as code and treated as such.

My thought: The logical culmination of “software is eating the world.” No code and low code companies will all try to create and own a proprietary data schema of some sort.

5) ML consolidation. Data gravity is real.

My thought: I would tend to bet on the cloud infrastructure players here via M&A, but the alternative scenario envisioned is very plausible.

Original thread (found after I had already summarized).

You can follow @GavinSBaker.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader