Stephanie Hurlburt
+ Your AuthorsArchive @sehurlburt Businesses: @_binomial @artbysehurlburt Instagram: instagram.com/sehurlburt 🏳️‍🌈 She/her Jan. 08, 2021 1 min read

Something I've been thinking about a lot for the past year is what we choose to pathologize and the impacts of pathologizing something.

Framing something as an illness or disorder or symptom has wide-reaching implications. That framing can even be the source of the problem!

I first thought about it after reading this book. She focuses on how in sex research, pathologizing & shaming natural aspects of sexuality and our bodies creates problems only solvable by acceptance and rejecting the notion that these are problems at all.  https://www.amazon.com/Come-You-Are-Surprising-Transform/dp/1476762090 

It also comes up in dialectical behavior therapy-- there is a healing philosophy of "radical acceptance." Taking a step back to just fully accept things as they are and working within that framework instead of the mindset of always trying to change them.  https://hopeway.org/blog/radical-acceptance 

It's natural to want to change. But maybe I don't have to change because the current state of who I am is diseased. Maybe I don't have to be neurotypical, maybe I don't have to follow a normal path or think/feel a standard way. I can be different without being labeled disordered.

It's a tricky topic because with increase in mental health awareness (which is great!) I see diagnoses and labels being thrown around. But I kind of no longer see my C-PTSD as a disorder, and more like neurodiversity and diversity of experiences that make me different and wiser.

You can follow @sehurlburt.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader