PEG
+ Your AuthorsArchive @pegobry Fellow @EPPCdc. I occasionally write things longer than tweets. Jan. 23, 2021 1 min read

That’s a good point. The Maginot Line was a massive engineering project and "worked" _as an engineering project_ (though it was also a symptom of strategic learned helplessness). When’s the last time America pulled off a large engineering project?

I was recently telling myself that the French nuclear power program was the last time a Western government completed a major engineering project. After the Oil Shock, the President said "Ten years from now, I want our power grid to run on nuclear" and...it happened.

Is there a more recent example? I am thinking of something (a) big; (b) cutting edge; (c) not massively over-budget/over-time; (d) not fake/dumb (don't talk to me about green energy).

According to Wikipiedia, 80% cost overrun. (And according to vague memories of my childhood, I would bet way overtime.)

Don't worry: France has lost the magic touch too.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_(nuclear_reactor) 

Interesting entry.

What do we think of CERN? Is it big enough to qualify? Is it real? (Has it actually advanced physics? @EricRWeinstein @skdh)

You can follow @pegobry.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader