PEG
+ Your AuthorsArchive @pegobry Fellow @EPPCdc. I occasionally write things longer than tweets. Feb. 11, 2021 1 min read

Well of course.

What's strange about this whole affair is that every "trad" space I'm familiar with (private clubs, galas, whatever) has an explicit "national dress" exception to the dress code.

Finally, I can visit the New Zealand Parliament wearing the traditional costume of my people.

Too long have we been oppressed by the bourgeois, Anglo-Saxon necktie. In this TEDTalk, I will

This is nonsense on stilts, of course. ("The necktie is derived from the codpiece." How is that even possible...anatomically?) But the necktie is an important piece of dress. Its function is its very practical uselessness. To wear a necktie is to ...

... symbolize that you are willing to bear a (mild) inconvenience simply to signal your respect for others, and for social rules. Putting aside the national dress issue, the defeat of the necktie is a victory of self-centeredness and selfishness.

The necktie can also be used to signal individuality as well as conformity, of course. Wearing different neckties is a great way to play on your self-presentation. But again, you are privileging sociality over personal comfort. As civilized people do.

Every culture and civilization has some equivalent of a formal dress that serves this purpose (the Roman toga was quite impractical).

This is too dumb for words. First of all, the necktie evolved from kerchiefs tied around the neck. Its lengthening is intuitive: men like to show off! More fabric means more opportunity to show off! Second of all, it's not possible that its function was to point to the weewee...

... since until the second half of the 20th century they were universally worn with some sort of closed vest or jacket that cut off the arrow. This is just transparently absurd. The Guardian!

So much of contemporary progressivism is about getting people to say "There are five lights."

You can follow @pegobry.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader