Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Mei
+ Your AuthorsArchive @sarahmei Software engineer & founder of @RailsBridge and @LivableCode. Currently stirring the pot at @SalesforceUX. Black Lives Matter. she/her Feb. 24, 2021 1 min read

More and more, Bitcoin is reminding me of Qanon:

- mysterious unknown founder

- siphons off emotional and/or actual energy to no useful end

- adherents don’t understand what it’s for or how it works

Another defining feature of both Bitcoin and Qanon:

Pure faith, untainted by the complexity of the actual world

Been thinking about that study that said people drawn to authoritarian right wing cults can't handle complexity.  https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/22/people-with-extremist-views-less-able-to-do-complex-mental-tasks-research-suggests 

The headline is misleading - it's specifically right wing extremists that can't handle complexity, which you don't figure out until deep in the article (or into the study, which is very interesting itself)

Which makes me wonder, is there a way to learn how to deal with complexity? Like...exercises or something you could do?

My whole life is messiness and chaos and complexity (and creating local pockets of order), which is probably why I'm good with software systems. So...I'm good there.

But if I had a family member who was more like the folks in the study, could I help them learn to deal with it?

I'm at a bit of a loss, because I struggle to even imagine what the world is like for folks whose brains tend strongly towards black&white over grays, clear categories over spectrums, simplicity over complexity.

It all seems designed to erase what gives life its color and vitality. ANYWAY. Waaaay too deep here for 9:30am 😬

Don't do cults, kids. Not religious ones, not financial ones, and definitely not political ones. Thx

You can follow @sarahmei.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader