1) Great Bernstein report this morning on digital advertising, which is perennially misunderstood and mismodeled.
TAM should include marketing spend and contemplate “CAC is the new rent.”
Real market size is *much* larger and penetration much lower than simple math suggests.
2) Also strongly believe search should be excluded as it is not advertising, it is just a digital “slotting fee” which is contra-revenue for brands and much larger than commonly believed - often not even included in marketing TAM estimates.
3) All you really need to know is that many DTC eCommerce co’s spend 50 to 70% of revenue on advertising.
Pick your eCommerce penetration across verticals, then look at digital ad spend % for offline revenues at well run brick and mortar companies.
That is the real TAM.
4) No one should think that building a marketplace is positive.
Dominant digital ad players have been slow to build marketplaces because advertising is more profitable as advertisers systematically overestimate their chances of retaining new customers and thus overpay.
5) Advertisers do not make this mistake on marketplaces.
When a dominant digital advertising player builds a marketplace, it is a sign of weakness, not strength.
But it is the best move when you don’t own a platform and are at the mercy of the dominant mobile platforms.
You can follow @GavinSBaker.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.