Gavin Baker
+ Your AuthorsArchive @GavinSBaker Managing Partner & CIO, Atreides Management LP. Formerly Fidelity OTC Fund. No investment advice, views my own. gavin-s-baker.com/ Mar. 20, 2021 1 min read

1) I think it is important to have a wide range of mentors early in an investing career.

Investment success comes down to finding a philosophy and process that fits one’s individual emotional makeup and lets one be rational when wrong.

https://gavin-baker.medium.com/investing-and-the-name-of-the-rose-1ffa0f9c254f 

2) If you only have 1 mentor, the odds that their philosophy and process are a great fit for your own emotional makeup is low and yet it is hard to not adopt their philosophy.

3) And if a wide range of mentors are not readily available, then there has been a vast amount written on investing.

4) But be careful to read a diverse set of investing books - not just Benjamin Graham and books 1 through 1000 on Buffett.

Expose yourself to a wide range of investing philosophies and find the one that works for you.

https://gavin-baker.medium.com/investing-book-list-5fba1b80728d 

5) And then move on to acquiring domain expertise once you have found a philosophy and process that works for you.

All the best investors I know spend vastly more time learning companies than they do studying the craft of investing.

You can follow @GavinSBaker.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader