Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Apr. 11, 2021 1 min read

Five Models of power & control (refined) to measure projects by:

* Dictatorship.
* Oligarchy (of the early, the wealthy, and/or the chosen).
* Federation (of dictators, and technocrats).
* Globally Open / Energy Constrained. (cf. "oligarchy")
* Locally Mediated (Dis)consensus.

Refined from some prior thoughts as I start having space to think about this again.

I still stand by "Federation is the worst of all worlds", though I think it is probably due a more nuanced follow up soon  https://fieldnotes.resistant.tech/federation-is-the-worst-of-all-worlds/ 

The only two that you can reasonably label "decentralized" are GO/EC and LM(D)c.

At least if you want to preserve any of the implicit semantics of the word "decentralized" as it relates to global power.

"Decentralization of the Oligarchy" is a concept I've struggled to put into words.

Oligarchy-driven consensus systems are very scalable and cheap. Those properties don't make the system less oligarchical though. That power is still inherently concentrated.

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader