Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Mei
+ Your AuthorsArchive @sarahmei Software engineer & founder of @RailsBridge and @LivableCode. Currently stirring the pot at @SalesforceUX. Black Lives Matter. she/her Apr. 13, 2021 2 min read

Today, another idiot FSF fan tried to get me fired. This time by tagging in rando Salesforce people not even near my reporting line.

It’s almost like FSF people REALLY don’t like women engineers 🤔

They’re also, on the whole, not too bright when it comes to “canceling” someone 🤔🤔

Anyway, I gave them the names of my executives but then pointed out that deplatforming a misogynist abuser and his enablers is actually totally in line with our corporate values so...good luck with that approach 🤣🤣🤣🤣

In return they threatened to stop using heroku

I didn’t even post about Stallman or the FSF today.

But every time Stallman or the FSF does another stupid thing (so...quite often, recently) their fanboys dig up a Stallman thread from like two years ago and start tagging in random coworkers, trying to get me in trouble.

I’m not particularly upset about it. But I want you all to understand that the way these folks react to a woman criticizing them is very different to how they react to a man doing it.

I’m not afraid of these assholes. Even in the unlikely event that they succeeded, I could get another job pretty quick. That’s privilege that a lot of people don’t have.

There are times in my life when I would have been afraid, and these silencing tactics would have worked.

Whose voices are we missing in the commons because they can’t speak up?

Who’s not here because they need that job to pay their rent, feed their kids, help their parents?

It’s a fucking shame.

To be clear I am not lamenting “cancel culture,” I am lamenting the fact that many women in tech feel like having any sort of public opinions on their work is too risky.

They’ve seen what happened to Kathy Sierra, Adria Richards, Zoe Quinn, and so many others before and since.

This is not theoretical. I know many of these woman engineers in real life, who have dropped off social media or never got on. I met them at She’s Geeky, and at Write Speak Code.

So next time you see some uninformed hooplehead say “why don’t I get quality resumes from women for my open engineer job,” remember that quality often means “has a public persona & is googlable” and that’s not safe for many women. Because of assholes like today’s FSF fanboy.

And yes, I am finally watching Deadwood. I am very proud that I refrained in this entire thread from using Al Swearengen’s favorite word EVEN ONCE. Hooplehead is my personal favorite anyway.

In case you’re wondering what idiocy inspired this:

Somebody please make me a gif of Al Swearengen saying “Read the thread, hooplehead” and then post it to these illiterates in my mentions, because whew. Reading comprehension is not their strong suit

In the mentions of this thread, you can see the misogynist who started this whole thing really double and triple down on everything. Fortunately, this is what it looks like for me now when that person starts monologuing

I’ve heard from two men who started the anti-RMS letter. Neither has gotten any hate mail, and certainly nobody’s attempted to contact their employers. These economic threats seem reserved for women.

Anyway, I am muting this thread now, but I appreciate your attention & support.❤️

You can follow @sarahmei.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader