Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Apr. 19, 2021 1 min read

Their right about one thing...we do need a debate reset.

End to end encryption provides some safety, but it doesn't go far enough.

For decades our tools have failed to combat bulk metadata surveillance, it's time to push forward and support radical privacy initiatives.

As an aside, I love the way that the NSPCC tell on themselves in this ridiculous report by contrasting the rights of children with the rights of "LGBTQ+ young people"

Refusing to even acknowledge the intersectionality of their own client base if a great way to provide "balance".

Anyway we do this dance every 6 weeks or so now, and I'm busy building actual privacy tools so I will let past-Sarah explain why all of this is bullshit.

It's been like 4 years since I published Queer Privacy and the conversations are the same then as they are now.

Privacy isn't something you legislate and it isn't something you are given.

Privacy is something you take and something you defend.

"Deliberately perforating our critical (social) infrastructure under the assumption that it will only be exploited by the good guys is negligence and should not be tolerated"

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader