Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Joshua Cypess
+ Your AuthorsArchive @JoshuaCypess PhD social scientist & Orthodox Rabbi. We're all in this together. He/him. #BlackLivesMatter #Steelers #Mets #Resist May. 28, 2021 1 min read

1/ This is a second 'footnote' thread (footnote of a footnote, something I tried to invent back in college) on my analysis of the bias in news coverage of Israel/Palestine.

First, these are the threads being commented on:

&

2/ A reader asked these questions:

&

&

3/ My response:

&

4/ I want to emphasize that I believe the NYT isn't supporting the Palestinians, the Israeli government, Big Oil, Upper West Side Jews, or any specific POV. It's bad journalism that doesn't inform properly because it has no incentive to expend time & resources to do so.

5/ Moreover, bias may be falsely perceived by partisans b/c they desire that powerful entities like the press will support their political aims. For them, news coverage will be biased if it gives credence to opposing views; or for extremists, if it contradicts foundational myths.

6/ I set up a litmus test for good journalism & social science: your subject must recognize themselves.

As @AoDespair said: "My greatest fear is that the people in the world I’m writing about will read it and say, ‘Nah, there’s nothing there.’"
 https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/10/22/stealing-life 

please compile.

You can follow @JoshuaCypess.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader