Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Jul. 06, 2021 1 min read

On of the reasons I work on metadata resistant tools like @cwtch_im is that I expect arguments like those made by the DPA to gain momentum in the coming years.

"you don't need encryption backdoors because you can undermine encryption with metadata collection and/or surveillance"

Metadata surveillance is already ubiquitous, it's already what states build capability and capacity for - they already know they don't *need* encryption backdoors.

Encryption backdoor gambits often seems like straw men intended to make metadata surveillance look good.

We need both - effective content encryption and metadata resistant systems that prevent any kind of surveillance.

And I am very much on the side of the argument that says we need to build systems that have those properties by design rather than by policy however...

...if legislation-based privacy is your thing then you need to *start* from the idea that devices & service providers should be obligated *not* to leave identifying information laying around on/in devices / billing systems / logs / flash memory etc.

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader