Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Jul. 27, 2021 1 min read

"Unregulated [mathematics], and the criminal abuse of it"

"[Mathematics] unregulated is justice denied."

"The last refuge of the criminal: [Smartphones that can do unregulated mathematics]"

*screaming*

This genre of cop-logic would be funny if it wasn't for the terrifying authoritarianism

"Unregulated [mathematics], together with other privacy-enhancing technologies, is allowing for warrant-proof technology which increasingly impedes our criminal investigations. "

I just can't

"It is unsustainable to keep delegating [maths] to private technology companies. Regulation is necessary — and urgently so"

This is what the abyss looks like.

How dare you XOR some bits together like a fucking criminal.

Like the VHSs and DVDs of old, in a few years every time you open one of the "legal" apps you will be greeted with a 2 minute long unskippable video reminding you that good citizens don't practice the "bad math".

All of this is fucking ridiculous. And it will continue being fucking ridiculous. Because the idea that states should be able to regulate what kind of maths you or your devices can do is fucking ridiculous and these people should be laughed out of the fucking room.

Someone give me the op-ed space to reply to this, and I will use the 732 words to provide your readers with enough knowledge to have them labelled criminals in this new regulated mathematics dystopia.

Alternatively, consider donating to your favourite local crypto/privacy researchers, engineers (like my beloved @OpenPriv) to help us all build crypto systems that resist surveillance, censorship and authoritarianism. We are going to need them all.

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader