Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Aug. 16, 2021 1 min read

Revisiting first impressions of the Apple PSI system in light of the new threat model.

https://pseudorandom.resistant.tech/ftpsi-parameters.html 

I think the main takeaway is that there hasn't been enough push back and that this now seems depressingly inevitable.

I expect we will see more calls for surveillance like this in the coming months heavily remixed into the ongoing "online harms" narrative.

Without a strong stance from other tech companies, in particular device manufacturers and OS developers, we will look back on the last few weeks as the beginning of the end of generally available consumer devices that don't conduct constant algorithmic surveillance.

Which is quite a statement for me to make. I've spent the last few years heavily focused on metadata surveillance as I've seen that as the primary privacy threat given the rise of end-to-end encrypted messaging.

With on-device surveillance, the game has changed.

I abhor privacy nihilism but if you are willing to let a robot sit on your phone (or in your house) and report back on your activities then you have consented to not having any privacy.

You are free to make that choice (at least for now).

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader