Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Aug. 18, 2021 2 min read

Both these images have NeuralHash: 1e986d5d29ed011a579bfdea

Just a reminder that visually similar images are not necessarily semantically similar images.

Love playing games like "Are these, technically, semantically similar images"?

All these images have NeuralHash: ba9f4edd1233a856784b2dc4

Hashes generated using the instructions / script found here:  https://github.com/AsuharietYgvar/AppleNeuralHash2ONNX 

As I said, finding specific (funny) collisions is trivial for perceptual hashes.

To be fair to Apple NeuralHash does seem at least somewhat resistant to -random- collisions (over the small set of tens of thousands of images I've thrown at it today...).

I let NeuralHash run most of the day in the background processing ~200K images. Didn't find any absolute "random" hashes (a few were 2-3 bits close) - but did find a few sets like this - sets of burst photos which match

All have the same hash: 75bbd25662074bdc7ac97677

NeuralHash seems to fail pretty easily on photos with small difference across a mostly static background - burst photos (and comic strips) being a common way of achieving this.

Interesting because all these would count as different photos in the context of a system.

The Apple system dedupes photos, but burst shots are semantically *different* photos with the same subject - and an unlucky match on a burst shot could lead to multiple match events on the back end if the system isn't implemented to defend against that.

I also wonder about the "everyone takes the same instagram photos" meme and how that winds it's way into all of this.

During experimentation today I ended up with a couple of very near matches so I've been playing with this great little tool () to see what it takes to mash them together.

Here is 11f6794bacf037d93aced8e0

Fun to note that because the originals were already near each (15fc79cfaef00d997ac65ce0 vs 15fc79cfaef01df9aecf7ee0) other it only took a few seconds each to modify them both to collide.

Here are another two: a852759b6dc0e748f04bf567

(Started off as: a852759b6dc0e708fbcbf767 vs aa52759b6de0cf8db01bb545 )

I can do faces too: 152d7772a8d47e156ef90a22

Those two started off as 152d77722cd02e3f66fb8a22 and 152e6e1508d0fe11ae59c9f0 and took a little more massaging to lower the obvious artefact - I think it could probably be better.

These are clearly the same image :) 72cb88a3e718d8c3c22cd118

Could be a dataset limitation, but after amassing a few hundred thousand samples I suspect at this point that not all 12 byte sequences are viable NeuralHashes.

Some naturally occurring collisions found by @braddwyer in ImageNet which have the same features as above (static background, smaller subject).

https://blog.roboflow.com/nerualhash-collision/ 

I have things to do today but later this evening I will write this up in more depth because there is a lot of misconceptions flying around about what is and isn't interesting/relevant.

Until then check out my last post on the whole Apple PSI system:  https://pseudorandom.resistant.tech/ftpsi-parameters.html 

Write up is here:

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader