Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Jamie Lewis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @SarahJamieLewis Executive Director @OpenPriv. Cryptography and Privacy Researcher. @cwtch_im icyt7rvdsdci42h6si2ibtwucdmjrlcb2ezkecuagtquiiflbkxf2cqd Oct. 07, 2021 1 min read

Really appreciate that Mozilla has chosen the death by a thousand cuts approach to killing Firefox. This way you really get to *feel* the pain of realizing how bad the browser ecosystem is over and over and over again.

Even the proposition of displaying ads directly in the address bar is enough of a proverbial straw to demolish any hope I have of a redemption arc.

Source:  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/navigate-web-faster-firefox-suggest#w_contextual-suggestions 

I feel the same way about my browser showing me ads as I do about my ISP blocking websites, or my phone manufacturer scanning my media files for contraband - it's an abuse of position, a violation of layer norms, and shouldn't be tolerated.

Anyway, very ready for a new generation of reimagined browsers. A louder echo of the early 00's niche browser renaissance.

You can follow @SarahJamieLewis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader