Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

foone
+ Your AuthorsArchive @Foone Hardware / software necromancer, collector of Weird Stuff, maker of Death Generators. (they/them) ko-fi: ko-fi.com/fooneturing Oct. 14, 2021 2 min read

ARGH
it turns out the Leisure Suit Larry series has two games with ALMOST the same name.
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! (1996)
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail (2007)

wikipedia helpfully explains the difference by saying that they're different

fun fact: there's also a different mobile game from the same era, called just Leisure Suit Larry, which is apparently just the minigames out of Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude prerendered out

there we go.
notice the lack of exclamation point on the title screen

ahh, remember the good ol' days when cellphones had 240x320 screens?

text injection! not much text injection because it's a tiny, tiny screen

oh yeah that's how the alphabet goes

they did at least obfuscate the java code.
that makes my job harder but at least it means I won't make fun of them for not bothering to do it

I don't know why I'm looking at the code. it's always a waste of time. I can just AVFE the font out like I don't have access to the code

fun fact: this game uses ! as a fallback error letter

anyway look ma it's a font

I wrote some code to strip them out
apparently I got it backwards

even when you've got compose and can actually type these characters, it's not exactly fun

figures that a Leisure Suit Larry game would start its font at pixel offset 69

I have made a mistake somewhere in here

ah-ha! I left out Ö

dang it. that wasn't the only mistake

forgot ä too

now the text seems to work
the trick is: can I implement the other colors of fonts without re-extracting?

oh good. it turns out each font is only two colors, and it renders in a more complicated way because shadows are generated... somehow

ok the shadows are always the same. easy and also peasy.

colors

now I just need to figure out how all the rest of the faces are supposed to be implemented

larry is the kind of weirdo who locks the door to his upstairs laundry room in the apartment he lives in alone by himself

BEST GAME EVER 10/10

You can follow @Foone.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader