Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

foone
+ Your AuthorsArchive @Foone Hardware / software necromancer, collector of Weird Stuff, maker of Death Generators. (they/them) ko-fi: ko-fi.com/fooneturing Oct. 16, 2021 1 min read

I replied to this one on Tumblr with a story I couldn't remember the name of, but I thought was by Damon Knight, but I haven't been able to find it.
The basic gist is that this is true, and is weaponized against a mind reading vampire.

The vampire feeds on people's emotions, and uses his mind reading powers to manipulate them into having strong emotions like despair, before he eats them.

But he keeps picking up hints of people he can't read at all. Their internal monologue is gibberish, the mental equivalent of a blaring earworm nursery rhyme

And at the end of the story those people all show up at his room on a train and beat him to death. It turns out they are a group of vampire hunters, and knowing they're going up against mind readers they train themselves to be impossible to read.

They make their brain so inhospitable that it's impossible to know their intentions and painful to even get near.

I really read this sometime in the 90s but I think it was much older. It was a short story in a compilation. I thought it was by Damon Knight (I have one of his Best Of books) but looking through his bibliography on Wikipedia I didn't see this one.

Ring any bells for anyone?

it's been found! it's The Mindwork by Cyril M. Kornbluth:

You can follow @Foone.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader