Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

foone
+ Your AuthorsArchive @Foone Hardware / software necromancer, collector of Weird Stuff, maker of Death Generators. (they/them) ko-fi: ko-fi.com/fooneturing Oct. 18, 2021 2 min read

it has been ZERO DAYS since I crashed a GBA game by trying to inject too much text into it

this is rookie coding, Vicarious Visions.
You should have expected that I might show up 17 years later and start jamming random text into That's So Raven!

OH COME ON

OH COME ON

YOU MISALIGNED YOUR TEXT!
THE LINES ARE MISALIGNED BY TWO ENTIRE PIXEL ROWS

I tried to determine how many lines were misaligned but GUESS WHAT HAPPENED

I crashed it AGAIN

it turns out cheat engine is updating ram on a PER CHARACTER BASIS which is highly dangerous when a game is this fragile.
I tried to overwrite 0x42 with 0x00 but I type the first 0 and it writes 02 to memory, crashing the GBA

oh god
I just realized I'm gonna have to inject text into this game, and any invalid character will crash the game completely, ending emulation

and restarting emulation will break my memory addresses

this is going to be FUN

spot when the GBA crashed (I was going in reverse order down from 32)

anyway found some metacharacterS:
0x04 center-aligns a line
0x05 right-aligns a line

font

it's got some buttons in it, which are STILL NOT IN UNICODE

YOU HEAR ME, CONSORTIUM? ADD ALL THE VIDEOGAME BUTTONS!

how does my code even work
someone should write docs for this

ahh you can't use first-line-justify AND explicit-origins at the same time, because I AM A FOOL

hang on just gotta rewrite the death generator so that this shit make sense solely so I can do THAT'S SO RAVEN FOR THE GBA

ok first-line-origin has been EXPUNGED from the death generator corpus

oh hey a todo telling me to do this

from only... 2 years ago

FIXED! except it turns out there's actually a different font for the title.
ARGH

they don't even use the same encoding for the titles, or it's not at font at all

they precompose the names but not the body text?

tempted to give up on this generator because I'm off by FOUR PIXELS

interestingly for a game about an american show, it has a yen instead of a backslash, which is something done in japan and korea

and it was developed by Vicarious Visions, an american company.
huh.

anyway I manually edited the font to fix the two letters that I can confirm are different (a and e) and I just need to remap the upper characters but I've been awake for too long so I'm not gonna. I'll do it later

knowing me, that'll either be first thing tomorrow, 2023, or never

You can follow @Foone.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader