People say you should work at startups because that's where the interesting work (and money) is. That's backwards!  http://danluu.com/startup-tradeoffs/ 

I suspect I'll never write anything more impactful than this post.

I've had a double digit number of people tell me they made life-changing amounts of money as a result of reading this post. What fraction of people who change jobs because of this post tell me? Probably < 1%?

Naturally, the responses I got to this were (in exonentially. decreasing order of frequency):

1. That's BS. No one makes that much {outside SF|writing code|at all}
2. Duh. Everyone already knows this, why write it up?
3. I agree. Glad word is getting out
4. This changed my life

It's interesting to see that the "low" estimate for a YC demo day valuation here is $8m.

The relative expected value of joining a v. early stage YC startup seems better than in 2015, although that probably doesn't change the equation if you care about P50 or even P90 outcome.

You can follow @danluu.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.