Michael Seibel+ Your Authors @mwseibel CEO, Partner at Y Combinator #ycombinator [email protected]ycombinator.com Feb. 20, 2018 1 min read + Your Authors

When founders reach out they tend to ask for general feedback, for a mentor, or for a meeting. I think they are given this advice from others and I think its actually bad advice for tech startups. Its much better to just ask for what you'd like help with:  http://www.michaelseibel.com/blog/how-to-ask-for-advice 

Getting product feedback on your idea from an investor/advisor who is not a potential user of your product is probably a waste of time. Also many times this request looks like the founder is seeking the investor's validation - which doesn't put your best foot forward.

Asking someone you've never met to be a mentor is also a recipe for a polite "no thank you" or for an email ignored.

Asking for a meeting upfront is inefficient when often what you actually need is specific advice, information, or an introduction.

In the tech startup world (I cannot speak to other worlds) when reaching out to an advisor / investor - just be straight up and ask them for what you would like. You'd be surprised how often they try to be helpful when you are clear, straightforward, and concise.

You can follow @mwseibel.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader