DHH @dhh Creator of Ruby on Rails, Founder & CTO at Basecamp, NYT best-selling author, and Le Mans 24h class-winning racing driver. Apr. 13, 2018

But, but, but Facebook wrote optimizations for PHP that helped them scale to 2 billion users!! Yeah, funny thing that. When you run the world's biggest website, none of the off-the-shelf solutions available will satisfy your needs without work.

Facebook optimizing their environment WHEN THEY NEEDED TO is exactly how this scaling thing is supposed to work. Every environment you've ever worked in has been amendment by people who hit the boundaries.

99.99% of the "haha PHP" ignoramus choir isn't likely to ever flex the boundaries of any vanilla stack anno 2018. It's all fantasy trump cards. There are plenty of reasons someone might want to pick a different language than PHP, but again, perf ain't one.

At the same time, I couldn't disagree more with "it's all just tools", "it doesn't matter what you pick", "nobody cares". Picking the right programming community is of paramount importance for health, heart, and happiness.

Finding Ruby was what unlocked my passion for programming. Replacing a mere "I gotta do this code thing to make shit" attitude. And I can tell you, life has been so much better on the other side. Finding a home, helping it thrive. It provides meaning.

The key insight is that finding the right programming community FOR YOU is a matter of language/community <-> mindset fit. The technical differences are mostly dwarfed by the emotional ones. Say, a Ruby mind trapped in a Java workload is a terrible waste.

That doesn't mean it's all about romantic love, and that for everyone THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE TRUE LANGUAGE. It takes time and effort to develop your eye enough that you can learn to see what beauty looks like to you. Well worth it.

You can follow @dhh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.