Josh Wolfe @wolfejosh VC, entrepreneur, fund manager @Lux_Capital; Chair @CiPrep Coney Island Prep; Trustee @SfiScience Santa Fe Inst; CoFounder of Carson, Quinn & Bodhi w/ @ltwolfe Apr. 20, 2018 1 min read

1/ I find most management books utter BS.

There is ONE model shared with me that I have liked a LOT first shared with me by a friend and CIO of a $30B+ firm.

2/ Tribal Leadership. You don't need to read the book.

The gist is this: there are a handful of TRIBES, each has a defining mantra...

3/ The worst (which account for ~2% of teams): says
"LIFE SUCKS". People are out for themeslves, hostile.

4/ The next which I think account for most workers in most office buildings, with no team loyalty or sense of meaning or purpose are apathetic, passive antagonistic victims.
"_MY_ LIFE SUCKS"

5/ The next tribe (better than prior but cancerous for teams):
"I'M GREAT, YOU'RE NOT" - these are teams w/ 1+ people who are not 'team players'; view credit + compensation as zero-sum; silo information; ego-driven, critical self-aggrandizing + stimulate alliances against them

6/ The last tribe are most hedge funds, law firms, small transient partnerships, poorly performing star-driven sport teams. The next tribe:
"WE'RE GREAT, THEY'RE NOT"
The bigger the outside competitor, the greater the camaraderie + stronger the team--BUT extrinsically motivated

7/ The final tribe: "LIFE IS GREAT". Here the team is focused not on extrinsic competitor but intrinsic mission

I'm a bit skeptical of this one--it's not clear if teams feel this way + create success OR success creates the feeling

i think high tides induce innocent wonderment!

8/ If you can get up the scale somewhere between...

"WE'RE GREAT, THEY'RE NOT" (a competitive, tightly unified + allied team)
+
"LIFE IS GREAT" (a mission-driven team confident or aloof to competition)

...it's a real sweetspot.

You can follow @wolfejosh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.