Rukmini Callimachi @rcallimachi Correspondent for The New York Times, covering ISIS. NBC contributor. Previously, seven years in West Africa. Ex-AP bureau chief. Ex-refugee. Apr. 24, 2018 1 min read

1/ Canadian officials have identified the driver of the car in Toronto as Alek Minassian. There is no indication this was terrorism at this point, they say.

2/ To understand what is going on, I turned to @borealissaves, who spent 14 years working for Canada’s intelligence branch. He pointed me to Minassian’s LinkedIn page:

3/ It says he was enrolled at Seneca College from 2011 to 2018, seven years. It’s not much to go on, but as @borealissaves points out that suggests a part-time student or else someone who couldn’t finish on time.

4/ Under Canada’s criminal code, terrorism is defined as an attack for “political, ideological, or religious purposes,” @borealissaves explained to me. So if officials are saying this is not terrorism, what they mean is his violence was not carried out for any of those 3 reasons

5/ It’s been just hours since this investigation was opened, so many things could change. Regardless of why he did this, today’s attack was awful and I’m keeping Toronto in my heart tonight.

You can follow @rcallimachi.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.